Digital Health Convergence: Are We There Yet?
Later this month the Wireless-Life Sciences Alliance (WLSA) convenes it’s 8th annual ‘Convergence Summit‘ from May 28th through the 30th from the Omni Hotel, San Diego. Your HIBC.tv crew including Dr. Pat Salber, @HealthtechHatch, @DocWeighsIn, and myself will be reporting from the venue, and perhaps even live streaming select keynotes (negotiations still underway as we write this blog post). Some newsworthy highlights include a rich agenda of timely topics (see complete agenda here), definite excitement over an impressive Triple Tree iAwards finalists pool (the likes of which include: digital health crowd favorites @AliveCor, @Asthmapolis, @Qualcommlife) and a timely panel discussion titled ‘The Engaged Health Consumer‘ seeded with all-star faculty who will explore the current state of the connected health ecosystem.
The Tuesday, May 28 session is for WLSA members only, while the May 29th & 30th sessions are open to the public – you may still register here. For additional information on the conference, contact WLSA Executive Director Molly Cogan.
A deeper dive into this year’s summit reveals the following:
- Qualcomm Life will demonstrate its 2Net platform in home environment.
- An exhibit called the “Connected Health Zone” will provide a real-life depiction of remote monitoring with multiple companies that have products and services in the connected health space.
- Themed ‘Moving Healthcare from Innovation to Adoption’ this year’s summit focuses on educating and aligning stakeholders throughout the healthcare ecosystem on the wide range of innovative solutions available to drive enhanced health outcomes and more efficient healthcare services.
- The ‘Engaged Health Consumer’ discussion will link the summit’s theme directly to consumers, who use and benefit from myriad wireless health innovations on a widening array of technology devices, including desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones and TVs.
On Thursday, May 30, at 2:50PM Jeff Arnold, Chairman and CEO of Sharecare moderates a panel on health and wellness social engagement, a conversation centered on helping people to live healthier lives by connecting them to personalized resources including high-quality information from national experts, interactive tools and local healthcare providers.
Panelists will include:
- James H. Fowler , PhD (aka @James_H_Fowler) and Professor of Medical Genetics and Political Science at the University of California, San Diego. His work lies at the intersection of the natural and social sciences, with a focus on social networks, behavior, evolution, politics, genetics and big data.
- Brendan Gallagher , Senior Vice President of Emerging Technology & Channels at Digitas Health, where he oversees user experience research, information architecture, content strategy, interaction design, and usability work across multiple offices for major pharmaceutical, healthcare and biotech clients.
- Daniel Kraft, MD, aka @Daniel_Kraft) a Stanford and Harvard-trained physician-scientist, inventor, entrepreneur and innovator. With more than 20 years of experience in clinical practice, biomedical research and healthcare innovation, Kraft chairs the medicine track for Singularity University and is Executive Director of FutureMed, a very popular intensive program that explores convergent, exponentially developing technologies and their potential in bio-medicine.
Other plenary speakers include Andrew Anderson , Global Lead for Strategy and Disruptive Innovation within corporate R&D at PepsiCo; Igor Gershfang, Senior Director for Emerging Technology Solutions within the business innovation group at Walgreens; and Dr. Peter Cowhey , Dean and Qualcomm Professor of Communications and Technology Policy at the School of International Relations and Pacific Studies at UC San Diego.
The stated goals of this year’s WLSA summit include ‘increasing consumer engagement and bolstering collaboration throughout all sectors involved in healthcare improvement, leading to broad adoption of new technologies worldwide.’